Thursday, December 29, 2022

Day 49: Bog Inn Hut to Piropiro Flats Camp (20km, 5.5 hours)

I was woken at about 2am by the sound of mosquitoes. I slathered on my 80% DEET and that seemed to keep them at bay. After that I had a great sleep, and woke up at 7am.

I’d heard some critter on the roof, but other than that there was no sign of rats overnight, and my food was intact. I was off and back on the trail by 7:30.

On my way…

This section of the trail is known for multiple suspension bridges, and I was looking forward to seeing them.

The first of many suspension bridges

Trying not to look down or drop the phone!

Another…

Another…

10am pic: a drink on the go

Another view from a bridge

Lovely walking trails

…turning into gravel paths towards the end

An enjoyable hike today, although the gravel towards the end reminded me too much of my road walking a couple of days ago. My feet were holding up OK, still sore but I was managing the blisters.

Today my song choice was back to a Christmas theme - White Wine In The Sun by Tim Minchin. I’m a Tim Minchin fan but have only just discovered this recently, and it’s easily my favourite Christmas song at the moment (makes me a little teary every time). Other songs highly worth listening to by Tim are Prejudice, Dark Side, Thank You God (for you mum!) and I’ll Take Lonely Tonight. But he’s a genius, everything he does is good!

By 1pm, I saw a sign for the Timber Lodge - the halfway point on the Timber Trail, where the mountain bikers go for their luxury stayovers. But, rumoured to do a mean pizza and beer for TA hikers! (I admit I started singing “I Need A Pizza”, with apologies to Bonnie Tyler). Shortly after I was there.

At last, that coke! (and a beer)

Pizza #1

The pizza was great. I finished it, then paid a visit to Camp Epic nearby - a glampsite for luxury campers, but they let me use their shower for $5 - totally worth it! (I also had a shave and quickly rinsed my hiking clothes). My campsite was Piropiro Flats nearby - a large campsite, but I discovered it has road access so was busy with holidaymakers, some with annoying quad bikes.

Busy at camp today!

But I found a corner spot 

After setting up my tent I couldn’t help myself - I went back for pizza #2 at the Timber Lodge. Equally good! I tried to use their weak wifi to do a blog update, but with the mountain bikers arriving and switching on their devices it wasn’t good enough to do much - the blog will have to wait till Taumaranui. Peter was there, the TA hiker I met previously - he’d decided to stay for the pizza, and was going to hire a mountain bike to finish the trail tomorrow. 

Getting ready for bed, I managed to lock myself inside the long drop loo. Not a good place to be stuck! I was banging on the door for several minutes until someone yelled to give it an almighty shove - which worked. Whew! 

Today’s route











8 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you yesterday, and the Pizza looked great, well deserved I imagine. Looking forward to FT on NYD. Go well. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you! And yes that pizza was very good :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Go well Simon! We're looking forward to those pics when you reach civilization-ish! J&J

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a cake walk, Simon. You're doing extemely well. There's been some big mileage. Most impressed. Go well. Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad, some hard early days for sure! And more challenges ahead…

      Delete
  4. Me this time, Simon. Happy New Year to you! I've just found that I can comment on your blog if I do it on my computer. Yay! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think it’s a browser thing, good that the PC works! Xx

      Delete