Saturday, December 31, 2022

Day 51: Ongarue to Taumarunui (30km, 8 hours)

It took a while to get to sleep last night, my legs were aching so much. But by morning I was feeling a bit more human. I woke at 5am to the sound of some of the other hikers packing up for an early start.

Today was another road walk, though thankfully not as long or exposed as the one before the Pureora Forest. I packed up, had a quick chat to some of the other early rising hikers, and headed off at 6:45am. The route today is basically a 25km road, initially gravel then tarseal, taking me though farmland all the way to Taumarunui.

I was prepared for boring, and for sore feet. I was right on both counts.

Making friends along the way…

… and more friends

… and an enemy

10am pic: the gravel has changed to tarseal

Getting hot. Found a handy shady tree

Fast forward to early afternoon, and I was entering Taumarunui. The first dairy I passed had ice cream!

Rum and raisin - mmm

I stopped in town for a burger and chips at a cafe, which I’d been dreaming of on the walk in. Sadly, both were underwhelming. My final destination was Taumarunui Canoe Hire, about 4km further south of town, where I needed to arrange my kayak hire for the Whanganui River later down the trail - but they also have a convenient camp site. It was getting hot, but I arrived there just after 3pm.

It’s a lovely campsite - just me and one other tent today. There’s a shower, fresh water and and a place to charge devices, what more could a hiker want? I had a shower and shave, checked over my feet (burst a few blisters), and had tuna, crackers and plums for dinner. 

My camp for tonight

Well, I’ve made it through the first stretch of this trip, Te Kuiti to Taumarunui. And, a day ahead of schedule. Tomorrow will be a well-earned rest day - although there will be plenty of planning, shopping and blogging to do, so I’ll be kept busy. But my poor feet will certainly enjoy not having to hike!

It’s New Year’s Eve, and lying in my tent, I’m thinking back on my last few New Years. 2 years ago today I was in my tent at the Whangarei Heads; 1 year ago I was listening to holidaymakers playing Abba from my Huntly Holiday Park cabin. Tonight, it’s very quiet, just the sound of the river below the campground. How time flies!

Good night all - and happy new year!

Today’s route

3 comments:

  1. Well deserved Ice Cream. Congratulations, enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you certainly haven’t lost your blogging skills during the past year. A great read as always. Looking forward to reading more on your next leg. Happy New Year. Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete