Monday, January 16, 2023

Heading home

I had a lovely night's sleep at Janet and Brian’s - I slept like a log and didn’t surface until well after 8:30am. Getting ready for my bus trip home to Auckland, it was strange thinking that I was packing my pack for the very last time this trip - like a final bookend to this summer’s adventures. After breakfast and a coffee, it was on the bus at 11:30am for the 8-hour trip home.

Thanks so much, Janet and Brian!

Lunch stop in Taumarunui

The trip was boring, and uneventful - 8 hours later I was arriving in Central Auckland, and by 8pm I was back in the apartment. It was strange not having Paul to greet me - he had flown out to Melbourne earlier today - but Rocco was there to give me a welcome home cuddle, and Paul FaceTimed soon after.

A celebratory FaceTime chat with Paul in Melbourne

Relaxing with Rocco - and my "welcome home" beer!

And, just like that, it's over! Though I have to pinch myself that this trip has really ended. The last three weeks have certainly had their fair share of challenges, probably more so than any of my previous TA sections. I'll rest up for a few days - it will take time to unpack and to get my blog up to date. And I definitely need time to reflect back on everything that has happened during this trip - so when I get my thoughts together I will finish as usual with a final reflection about this recent adventure.

But for now, it's good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment