Friday, January 5, 2024

Day 77: Rest day, Waikanae

I’m well overdue for a day off. I had planned to stop for a rest day tomorrow, but the trail angel I was hoping to stay with in Paekākāriki is no longer available so I’ll have to camp somewhere instead. A rest day in a little tent is not a good idea.

So with my Achilles still inflamed and sore, and rain expected today, it makes sense to stay here an extra day in Waikanae instead. I’ll just chill out here on my mattress at River Pa, catch up on my blogs, look after my leg, and eat some of the extra food I’ve been carrying. Maybe even go for a swim in the swimming hole at the back of the property, if I’m feeling brave.

Cosy!

Cold!

Well, my blogs are finally all up to date now! Do check out my updates for Days 73 and 74, they fill in some important details of the two days leading up to the Tararuas. 

Otherwise, the rain has started here, so I think I’ll skip the swim. Anyway, my mattress is calling! Time to relax.

4 comments:

  1. Well done you, makes our Camino look like luxury glamping in comparison. Nearly on the home stretch, and you can go berserk on the Crafty beers in Welly. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m visualising the bars as we speak! Though I’ll be so knackered I’ll probably end up staying in bed 😁 xx

      Delete
  2. Relax Simon. Time to give your body a break.
    Xx Mum & co

    ReplyDelete