Sunday, December 31, 2023

Day 72: Palmerston North to Moturimu Whare Shelter (31km, 9 hours)

I slept rather fitfully last night. 


I was mostly worried about my blister. Last night it had been getting red around the edges, and white in the middle, and was weeping. I’d googled infected blister - bad idea, but enough to tell me this wasn’t good, especially as I am about to go off the grid for a week. During the night I thought seriously about staying an extra day in Palmy to see a chemist or doctor. However it looked somewhat better in the morning - not as red or weepy. Cassie’s mum’s magic ointment was helping I think! So I decided to go ahead as planned.


I felt a bit scared as I left at 7am. Out of contact for a week; arduous tramping over the Tararuas; infected blister. And torrential rain forecast for today. But I took a deep breath, and was off.


Today started following an cycleway, along and across the Manawatu river. After a few kilometres it turned into bush tracks (though with more than a few stairs), and then followed some quiet country roads, leading again to native bush.


Crossing the Manawatu River


Going down

I took a break to send my last texts, before cellphone coverage stopped.


10am pic: Sent my last texts. Feeling rather alone now


Drizzle started shortly after that. Then an hour later, heavy rain - at times torrential. Just as well I had new wet weather gear!


Slightly damp


On with the rain gear!

The route continued up a hill and along a mountain bike track, and country roads, following a stream through bush and farmland. Around here I must have passed the 1500km mark - that’s half-way to Bluff! Apparently there was a sign, though I must have missed it with my head down in the rain. 


Half-way to Bluff is probably somewhere around here!

Lunch in the rain. Time to open the emergency salami 

Outside the Arapuke mountain bike trail

Lovely paths here through the forest 

The rain is clearing! Windmills in the mist as I head uphill

Good to know I’m going the right way

Almost there…?

The rain finally stopped in the final hour. After heading down a forestry road, I finally arrived at today’s destination - Moturimu Whare Shelter, a basic shelter for TA hikers. It’s not really a hut - it has no door, and just some platforms inside to sleep on. But it’s cute!


No need to get out the tent. Woohoo!

As well as me, both Cassie and Erika from last night arrived, and we were joined by Jamie (UK). It was a very long and wet day today, and I was shattered. Time for my first dehydrated camp meal of this trip - beef curry - but after that it was an early night for all four of us. On New Year’s Eve!


Clockwise from left: Cassie, Jamie, Erika and me. 8pm New Years Eve, the party is in full swing

Today’s route.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a day! Good to reach the camphouse and get a well-earned kip. Happy New Year, Simon!

    ReplyDelete