Thursday, December 23, 2021

Here we go again...


Hello!

Putting in a quick practice tramp at Kauri Point yesterday. Oh I'm so unfit!

What a year. The more it dragged on, the more I think I started to have escapist fantasies about walking away from everything. And that idea of continuing with the Te Araroa just wouldn't go away...

A year is also long enough to forget about most of the negative things of the last TA hike - the aches, pains, sore feet, ruined tendons, isolation, discomfort, etc. It's strange how it's mostly the good memories I'm left with - the sense of fulfilment, satisfaction, and freedom.

So, here we go again!

On Boxing Day I'll be heading off again down the Te Araroa. I'll actually start my hike from the front door, which is technically where I finished up last time, and will join the trail heading south - to Hamilton, the Pirongia forest, Waitomo, Te Kuiti, Taumaranui, and possibly Tongariro.

It will feel a little different this time, I think. For a start the scenery will be different. No beaches, but a lot of urban roads (especially for the first few days), hills and forests. And at the end, a mountain! If I do the maximum possible distance (for me), I'll end up passing over the Tongariro Crossing and finishing up at National Park, before bussing home on about Jan 24. 

But to be honest it's quite likely I will stop before then. I think another big difference this time is that I'll be walking away from home, not towards home, so there is no definitive end goal this time. I can finish whenever I feel like it. I'm also very much aware of how my achilles tendons and shins still haven't fully recovered from last time, so may not hold up; plus there will be some logistical issues with trying the Tongariro crossing; plus Paul has found out he has a minor op on Jan 21, so it would be nice if I could be back by then to play nurse. (Gosh, I haven't even started and I'm already lining up excuses...)

So, let's see how far I get! It might be anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. Place your bets please.

It was a very late decision for me to continue with the TA this summer. There's only been time for a few practice tramps, some calf exercises to try and strengthen my dodgy achilles, some rushed planning, and a lot of trying to remember how to do everything I did a year ago (like, how to pack my pack, put up my tent, and access this blog!).  So I'm feeling very underprepared, and again rather nervous.

Well at least I still remember how to put up the tent (I think)! Thanks Paul and Rocco.

OK, time to walk Rocco and do my calf exercises. I'll do a next quick post on Christmas Day evening. I can't believe in 3 days I'll be off again!

PS: Last time I had an official song for my tramp, so I guess should do the same again! This time it's going to be "All Sweet Things", by No-Man. Partly because main lyric is "all sweet things will come again", which is apt. But also because the original band name was "No Man Is An Island (Except The Isle Of Man)", which is both apt and hilarious. 


1 comment:

  1. It's a hell of an exciting adventure! I'm waiting for the sequel! Sep.

    ReplyDelete