Sunday, January 3, 2021

Day 20: Ruakaka Beach to Waipu Cove (17km, 5.5 hours)

I had a tear in my eye when I said goodbye to Paul, Rocco, Tom and Blair at 9am. Thanks for the lovely time out, guys! It’s back on the road now, but actually only about 8 days until I’m back in Auckland. Not far now! 

Waving me off on the home stretch

Saying goodbye to my boys
 
It was another 5 km down the beach, but part way down I was joined by Darien, Greg, Frank and his partner, who were staying just down from Ruakaka at Uretiti. They walked me the last few kilometres until I turned off. It struck me that this was the first time I haven’t walked alone in the entire trek so far.

10am pic: Darien, Greg, Stephen and his partner. Thanks for the company on the trail guys!

Turning off the beach, it was another hour walk into Waipu town. I’d been looking firearms to passing through here ever since the beginning of the hike - McLeods brewery is here, and I really fancied a beer and pizza. I had to wait half an hour for them to open at midday, but it was worth it!

A chili pils beer, and pizza. Yum!

My camp site today was in Waipu Cove, two more hours down the road from Waipu town. It is the height of holiday season here, so everything is busy with holidaymakers - including the roads. But there was a walkway and fairly wide verges most of the way.

The tent site cost $46 - the most expensive piece of grass I’ve been on! I’m surrounded by tents and caravans 10 times my the size of mine. 

The last tent site available in all of Waipu Cove.

Fish and chips for dinner tonight from the local dairy - sadly a distant third in the takeaway contest, well behind Ahipara and Whananaki (too greasy). Light rain fell for several hours while did some planning in my little tent, listening to the noisy cricket-playing wine-drinking family in the caravan across from me. At least they quietened down after 10pm.

Today was a pretty gentle walk. But tomorrow will be much longer, to Mangawhai Heads. So, time for bed. I hope that the thunderstorms further south don’t come this way overnight!

2 comments:

  1. Looking fresh, rested and cheerful, Simon. The end of your long hike isn't far away now. Hope the weather continues to be kind to you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 46$!!!!!!! I would say a lot of Russian swear words! Now that my indignation is not so strong, I can continue) Dear friend, I finally finished the hard work during this period and can read not a blog, but a wonderful story of your adventures, it is really very interesting, as if I went with you this is not an easy path. You have wonderful views and beautiful places, it is very interesting to visit there. How's your shin doing? I hope it has stopped making you uncomfortable. I look forward to continuing your journey with great pleasure, greetings from Russia. Sep.

    ReplyDelete