Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Day 22: Injury day in Mangawhai

This is not the day I had planned. 

My new shin issue has flared up overnight. There’s a point about 10cm above my ankle where I feel pain whenever I flex or extend my foot, and it’s a bit swollen. So rather than hobbling down 15km of beach etc on today’s hike, I decided to do the sensible thing and take a day off.

My 10am pic: resting my leg. Yes, that’s a kumquat marking the dodgy spot (to show Monique).

It is a big help that my little cottage is very comfy, and Kerry says it is fine to stay another night. She very kindly brought over a chilly bin with ice packs. 

I also emailed Monique with a cry for help, and minutes later I had an action plan with ideas for taping and managing my shin. A “Trail Angel” is the official term for people along the Te Araroa who help walkers -  Monique, you are my remote trail angel! 😇 Thank you so much!

I was feeling frustrated and a bit down, but the help and encouragement and a chat with Paul lifted my spirits. Plus, the visitors book in the cottage has helped to put things into perspective. It appropriately has this at the front: 

I haven’t died!

So most of today was chilling out around my little cabin. Icing my leg. And listening to music for a change while I have a place to recharge my phone. I listened to all the songs I’ve mentioned in my blog so far - all very appropriate, though all very existential and melancholic. But I was perking up a bit by now, and with the great weather, I added some happier stuff from ELO (The Diary of Horace Wimp, Mr Blue Sky).

My home for another day.

Sitting in the shade with my leg up, listening to ELO

Strangely, even Mr Blue Sky made me well up for a bit.

Later Mark and Kerry asked if I wanted to join them for a drive back up to Mangawhai Heads for an ice cream. Kerry dropped off some more ice afterwards, and some extra strapping. Another angel!

Thanks so much for all the care, Mark and Kerry!

I had a local bakery sandwich for dinner back at the cottage, and then pottered around getting ready for tomorrow’s hike. Tomorrow should be another scorching day - 23km, a big beach section, and maybe a hilly bit en route. But I think I’ll be OK. I’ll make an early start, take it slowly, and follow Monique’s advice. I can do this!




3 comments:

  1. Hi, posted earlier, but the website kept throwing up errors. Take it easy today, talk again tonight. What a find Monique is. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to rest your dodgy leg, Simon. Hope it feels a little better tomorrow. Agree with Paul about Monique. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow .. ive just read this post after your later posts .. tough day with an injury like that .. please you pulled the strength to carry on .. wow . go Si!

    ReplyDelete