Monday, January 3, 2022

Day 38: Rest day in Hamilton

With no windows in my little room to tell me it’s daytime, I woke up at 9am. I think I needed the sleep!

As well as resting up, today was a day for planning the next section of my hike, and also for stocking up on a few important things. I needed freeze-dried meals, a personal locator beacon for emergencies - and, new hiking shoes! My current ones are already wearing away inside the heel, and that’s not going to be good for the long bush tramping coming up.

In the morning I wandered down Victoria St to take a look around central Hamilton, and to visit Trek & Travel when they opened at 10am. Colin was very helpful, especially with advice about tramping boots and trail walking shoes - thanks Colin!

10am pic: They take COVID safety very seriously here.

My last chance to see the Waikato River on my TA. Goodbye, Waikato!

They were pale grey when I left Auckland. But the  real problem is the fraying inside the heel.

My new purchases

It was 30 degrees again in Hamilton today - and it looks like the heat wave will last another 3 days. I decided to treat myself to an air-conditioned movie in the afternoon - Spider-Man ๐Ÿ˜. It still felt like 30 degrees at 5:30pm as I was walking back to my room.

I’m a bit apprehensive about the next week - it will be very hot, my pack’s now heavier, the route will be getting harder (through Pirongia), and switching to new shoes without a chance to break them in is a risk. But on the bright side, Julie is going to pick me up from Whatawhata after my tramp tomorrow and will take me home to Ohaupo for the night. It’ll be great to see her and Jel - and I won’t have to sleep in my tent!

Time to try re-packing my pack, and to get a good night’s sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment