Monday, December 14, 2020

Day 0: Auckland to Kaitaia

Well, here I am in sunny Kaitaia. 

Yesterday I finished my last bits of packing, and visited Monique (podiatrist) for some last advice. Then Paul and I went out for a last dinner at Apero.

How to self-tape my feet if needed. Thanks so much for your help Monique!

Paul walked me to the bus station this morning for my 7:30am bus. I admit I had a little tear in my eye saying goodbye. Then, 7 hours in the bus up north. Wearing a mask, with freezing air conditioning, and 2 spoilt unattended girls squabbling in the seat in front of me. I was glad to arrive!

I checked into my backpackers - very basic, but all I need.

I’ve got the dorm to myself.

Mum, I saw this message you left in the kitchen.

The resident cat has taken a shine to me. Very fat and friendly.

I’ve managed to get a lift to Cape Reinga tomorrow - I had to pay double because they were reluctant to make the trip only for me, but it’s still a better option than waiting 2 more days for the first tourist bus. So, my walk will officially start tomorrow! This means you won't see any further posts from me now until at least Thursday evening (as there won't be cellphone coverage for the top 2/3 of 90 Mile Beach).

It’s going to be a hot week, so I’ll be covering up and slapping on the sunscreen. I’m feeling slightly less nervous now that I’m here I think, and ready to give this thing a go. But you’ll find out in a few days how I’ve been getting on. Fingers crossed!

PS: I saw this in the Sunday Star Times yesterday: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/southland/123600656/every-single-day-its-in-my-mind-and-in-my-heart--the-epic-tale-of-te-araroa-trail

5 comments:

  1. Off to Cape Reinga already!
    A hot day today (15th) and thinking of you as you start your trek, Simon. May the wind be always at your back. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking with you every step of the way, thinking of you every step of the way. Look forward to hearing from you and your stories when you are back in cell range. Love you heaps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to continuing your story Simon! (Sep)

    ReplyDelete