Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Day 1: Cape Reinga to Twilight Beach campsite (12km, 4.5 hours)


Day 1, and I'm in my little tent writing my blog post as a draft email (I'll publish it and add photos on day 3 when I get in cellphone range). Feeling pretty tired - after a long exhausting tramp these blog updates might be a bit short!

I was picked up from the backpackers just after 10am - later than planned so I could start hiking after high tide.

Waiting for my pick-up at 10am. I’ll try to post a daily pic of what I’m doing or seeing at 10am.

Waenga Maaka, my driver. He knows of one of the teachers at school, Bella. Small world!

An hour and a half later I was in Cape Reinga, feeling a bit nervous and emotional about the start of the big tramp. After checking out the lighthouse, I was off!

Kit on. Ready to go!

Breathtaking views.

I had to call by the lighthouse before I started.

The obligatory starting shot. Maybe I’ll get a matching one from Bluff one day...
 
View from the hill above Cape Reinga lighthouse

The trail wound down to Te Werahi beach, then inland around a point to get to Twilight beach.

The official start of the TA.

Te Werahi beach

Sun protection rating: 10. Fashion rating: 0.

Twilight beach.

Stairs at the end of the beach. To the campsite I hope!

After about 4 hours I was at the Day 1 campsite - just a little grass area. I was joined by a few others - three who are doing a different hike, and one who is also doing the TA trail. Proof again that NZ is a small country - Max, you will know her! (Clare Logan - she is fundraising for the Westlake Boys rowing team)

Fellow tramper Clare, complete with Westlake Boys flag! Her fundraising page is https://givealittle.co.nz/fundraiser/walking-te-araroa-for-westlake-boys-high-school 

Welcome to my home. Cosy!

I had dehydrated beef curry for dinner, and now it's time for bed (8pm). Early start tomorrow! 

PS: My right shin/ankle started getting sore towards the end, I am hobbling a bit gingerly around the campsite on it. I'm a bit worried, as there are 3 big days coming up, so hopefully it improves overnight. But, all up it's been a successful first day. Good to finally have started, after all the planning!

PPS: 3am, listening to the roar of the surf. Best stars ever.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Great to see you've got wifi and we can follow your progress. Nice work Simon! (impressed, Ohaupo).

    ReplyDelete