Saturday, December 12, 2020

Day -2: Almost ready!

Hard to believe that two days from now I'll be in Kaitaia ready to get started! Paul and I will go out for a "last supper" on Sunday night, and then on Monday I’ll be on the 7:30am Intercity bus up North (which I am calling my "Day 0" - my first tramp day will be "Day 1"). 

Paul and Rocco looking suitably bemused about why I’ll be abandoning them for a month. 

It’s been a busy week. I’ve bought everything I need, packed my pack, kept up my training, planned my itinerary, made lots of lists, etc. But I’m still feeling underprepared. And to be honest a bit scared.

Rocco helping me to assemble my tent

A few things to add to my nerves:
  • I’ve got a couple of leg and foot niggles (shin, sole). I’ve stopped practice tramps since my shin niggle surfaced on Wednesday, hopefully it will be able to heal up in time.
  • I haven’t been able to find a shuttle to Cape Reinga until Thursday. I’m still ringing around, but it’s possible I’ll be cooling my heels in Kaitaia for a couple of days before I can officially start hiking (so my "Day 0" may stretch to several days of wait time!)
  • Accommodation is heavily booked up after Christmas, so once I get to Kerikeri it may be very hard to find places to stay or to camp.
But, this whole trip is going to be a challenge. There will be lots of issues that arise along the way - physical and logistical. So I'd better put my big boy's hiking pants on, and just do it! (thanks Nike).

My next post will be on Monday from Kaitaia. 2 more sleep(less night)s to go!

PS: I’m trying to post this blog from my phone, hopefully it works. I can’t work out how to create an offline draft if I don’t have mobile phone coverage, hopefully there’s a way - maybe just write Notes on my phone and copy them over? I guess I’ll test that out on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment