Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Day 8: Makene Rd to Apple Dam campsite (18km, 6.5hrs)


I woke up surrounded by the lingering pong of wild pigs.

Today was a fairly straightforward road walking day. It was 6km along SH1 to Mangamuka - the highway has been closed since mid year because of a slip in Mangamuka Gorge and has only been opened for light traffic during the Christmas/New Year period, so there was very little traffic. 

I’m making progress!

I stopped off at the Mangamuka Bridge dairy, and treated myself to an egg muffin, a moccacino, and a milkshake. I ended up staying there 2 hours, charging my phone and battery and chatting to lovely store manager Eliza. A nice break!

My 10am pic: enjoying a raspberry and lime milkshake. I like to live dangerously. 

Turning off the highway, I carried on steadily uphill along another 12km of gravel road, through farmland and eventually into forest. I passed another tramper going the other way, he was coming from my destination tonight. 

At 1:30pm I was at the campsite - another tiny grassy patch, like the last few, with a small stream nearby for water.

Only me at the campsite again tonight.

The Apple Dam camp water supply. The water was a bit brown, but I think that’s tannins from the beech leaves. I hope.

There were rumours of a hidden long drop - eventually I found it.

The elusive longdrop. Just don’t look inside... 😱

I set up camp and settled in to rest up for a quiet afternoon. It’s a big day tomorrow - an arduous 25km hike upriver - so I want to make an early start. The shin handled today’s road walk just fine, but tomorrow will be a different story.

Today’s been cloudy and as Eliza predicted there was a brief spot of rain later in the afternoon. They say to avoid tomorrow’s route if the weather is wet (the river gets too deep, and there is a danger of flash floods). So I hope the weather holds 🤞.

Thai chicken curry for dinner - the best one yet! Listening to moreporks as I fell asleep.

6 comments:

  1. Going strong. Del drove the school bus from Okaihau to Mangamuka and back daily in 1967 so he has clear memories of that section of the highway, Simon. Kerikeri's not far away now. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know that was here! I’ll be walking along Mangamuka Rd tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Oops, tired brain - it’s Mangakaretu Rd I’m doing tomorrow, of course I’ve already been through Mangamuka 😜. I remember passing the road where the school was - strangely called School Rd!

      Delete
  2. You seem to haIve the trip to yourself.At least it will peaceful!!Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it’s late in the season for trampers starting the TA. Though I don’t mind the solitude! It means the few brief chats I have with people along the way are more memorable. But I’m getting closer to more populated areas soon, so maybe more likely to see others.

      Delete
  3. Funny, I had an egg & bacon muffin, banana milkshake & banana when I stopped there!

    ReplyDelete